Become a Member of SGGS !
Although SGGS' primary purpose is outreach to the genealogical public, joining SGGS as a member will provide the following additional benefits.
- Subscription to our prize-winning journal, Der Blumenbaum
- Emailed notifications of our monthly meetings and special events featuring speakers who will provide you with information to help with your German-related family research
- Discounted admission to our annual seminar
- Access to the members-only section of our website.
|Individual / Organization
||$30 / Year
||$35 / Year
Dues are payable in U.S. Dollars. Non-U.S. residents: We use PayPal so currency conversion is built into the online form.
Three Ways to Join SGGS or Renew Your Membership
- You can purchase a new membership or renew your existing one online. Payment is processed by PayPal. Almost all credit cards and some debit cards are accepted. For non-U.S. residents, PayPal does currency conversion. Use of this payment service is free. If you provide an email address, you will receive an emailed receipt from both SGGS and PayPal.
- Non-members: Select the New Membership Purchase menu option to begin the process.
- Renewing members: Log-in using your member login name and password. Then follow the prompts.
Important PayPal notes:
- Once in PayPal, press the "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" button. No need to log-in or create an account.
- PayPal will require entry of an email address so you will get an emailed receipt.
- After entering your contact and payment information, set the "Save info & create your PayPal account" slider to OFF. Then press the just displayed "Pay now as guest button".
Click on image to download application.
- Print out and complete the one-page membership form.
- Click here to download the membership form.
- Make check or money order payable to "SGGS". (Payments must be in U.S. Dollars.)
- Mail the membership form and payment to:
P.O. Box 660061
Sacramento, CA 95866-0061
Click on image to download brochure.
- Fill out a membership form (available at a meeting or click here to download one now).
- If paying by cash, check or money order:
Present your filled-out form with payment to the Membership Registrar at the membership table.
- If paying by credit or debit card:
Most credit and debit cards may be accepted at SGGS meetings and events depending on the venue. (Our current meeting location, the Sacramento Family Search Library, does not permit sales on premises)
When this service is permitted, an SGGS volunteer, using his/her personal smartphone, can accept credit or debit card payments. Card payments are processed by Square at no charge*. Click here for a list of accepatble cards.
*NOTE: SGGS cannot guarantee the availability of this service at every event.
I've Just Joined. What Happens Now?
You will be able to make use of your new membership or membership renewal after it is processed by SGGS. Processing is typically completed within a few days of receipt of your membership, although volunteer vacations can occasionally stretch that to a few weeks. Click here for a list of what happens next and your follow-up options.
Membership Questions or Requests?
If you have any questions about membership, click here to email the Membership Registrar. If you would like a membership brochure mailed to you, please include your complete postal address.
Thank you for being a member of SGGS !
Your SGGS membership expires on the anniversary of the date you joined online or, if you join by mail, the date your membership was received and processed. You will receive email reminders prior to your membership expiration date.
Important note for those renewing online:
Due to a limitation in our online software, if your membership expired over a year ago, renewing online will only add a year to your expired membership rather than purchasing a current or next year membership. In this case, contact our Membership Registrar as soon as possible so we can manually correct your expiration date. Thanks!
Membership – What Happens Next?
- If you provided a working email address (strongly recommended), immediately after your membership is processed you will receive an emailed, new-membership-purchase confirmation letter. That letter includes your website log-in name and password. Confirm that the other information on the letter is correct (especially your mailing address) and contact the Membership Registrar, if any changes are needed.
- Log into the members-only section of the website using your new log-in name and password. Then change the assigned default password (and log-in name, if desired). The FAQ page in the For Members Only section describes how to do this. Note that log-in names must be unique across all members.
- View your online member record to check that the information posted there is correct.
- Browse information in the For Members Only section of the website.
- From inside your member record, you can start entering ancestor surname information that will appear on the "Surnames Query" page in the public area of the website.
- Review the "Member Services" page in the members-only section of the website and consider making use of the member benefits described there (e.g., putting a query in the next Der Blumenbaum).
- Once you become familiar with SGGS, please consider becoming a volunteer to help the society function. A partial list of such needs can be found on the "Help Wanted" page in the For Members Only section of the website.
- If you provided a working email address (strongly recommended), immediately after your membership is processed you will receive an emailed membership renewal confirmation letter. Confirm that the other information on the letter is correct (especially your mailing address) and contact the Membership Registrar if any changes are needed.
- View your online member record to check that the information posted there is correct (especially if you provided contact information changes during renewal).
Membership Options and Upgrades:
- Second Member of a Couple Membership – Our membership forms provide for entry of a single email address and phone number. This information is associated with the "primary" member of the two people who constitute a Couple membership. Only one log-in name and password is automatically assigned. Should the second member of a Couple want to use a separate email address, phone number and log-in, please contact the Membership Registrar and provide the second person's contact information so a second log-in name and password can be assigned.
- Upgrades – Upgrading your membership plan to a more expensive one is possible by contacting the Membership Registrar and paying the difference in the dues amount. Upgrading from an Individual membership plan to a Couple costs $5.
Click here to go to the supplemental payments page.